I will be the first one to admit that I need variety in my workouts! I get really bored doing the same thing over and over and over again. If I get bored mentally by doing the same workout repeatedly I can only imagine how bored my muscles get with repetitive workouts.
I do not belong to a gym so all of my workouts are done at home or outdoors. Kyle has been involved in strength training since before I met him so he was instrumental in getting out home gym set up.
We have pretty much everything we need at home…a pulley system, a bench, various barbell plates, various dumbbells, a stability ball, an elliptical machine and a treadmill.
I like to change up my routines every 4 weeks or so in order to give myself the variety that I need to stay motivated. For the month of November I have been following a cardio heavy workout plan. My typical weekly workout looks like this:
- Monday – off (Mondays are almost always my off day no matter what workout plan I’m following)
- Tuesday – Legs strength training
- Wednesday – 30 minutes elliptical
- Thursday – 20 minutes HIIT on the treadmill (or an off day depending on how my week went)
- Friday – 30 minutes elliptical
- Saturday – Legs strength training
- Sunday – 20 minutes treadmill & 20 minutes elliptical
I really enjoy my sweaty cardio sessions but I’m looking forward to December and getting back into more strength training. I have already started planning some workouts that I would like to include in my strength training circuits next month.
How do you keep variety in your workouts? What other home gym equipment would you recommend?